Aryan Khan, son of the famous Bollywood Star Shahrukh Khan, left India today to travel to the United States after being cleared of all charges in a drug case in Mumbai. Indian authorities have dropped a case against the son of Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who was arrested last year on suspicion of possessing drugs during a raid on a cruise ship.
The Narcotics Control Board (NCB), India’s main drug law enforcement agency, said on Friday that it was dismissing the case against 24-year-old Aryan Khan and five others for lack of “sufficient evidence”. 14 is pressuring charges against others.
Khan’s arrest had polarized broadcasting and social media in the Bollywood-obsessed country, with some saying he was targeted for being the son of a Muslim celebrity in Hindu-majority India.
A lawyer for Khan told Reuters that his client’s detention, which took place after a boat raid from Mumbai last October, was unwarranted and did not break any law. Khan was released on bail on October 28 after 26 days in custody.
“We are happy that (an NCB team) investigated the matter objectively and decided not to file a complaint against Aryan Khan due to lack of sufficient evidence,” said his lawyer Satish Manishande. “God is great.”
The case was widely covered in India, with Aryan Khan’s fans insisting on his innocence while others demanded a boycott of his father’s films.
Shah Rukh Khan, 56, is known as the king of Bollywood and one of India’s most beloved actors. He has acted in more than 105 films in almost three decades.
In September last year, the Narcotics Agency questioned some famous Bollywood stars in connection with the death of famous actor Sushant Singh Rajput. Rajput died of suicide and doctors and police rejected the drug.